Friday, June 27, 2008

Rice Kheer

Thought my first post be my favorite sweet that I learnt from a Bengali aunty who lived nearby when I was in school. Nearly 10 years now since we have moved from that house. I used to make this on special occasions and everybody enjoys it, especially my son likes it very much. This looks like rasmalai, but we dont add saffron to it and is a little thicker than that.
Don’t have a picture of it right now, will post when I make it next time.

Ingredients

Milk – 1 liter
Basmathi rice – 2 teaspoons
Cashew, Badam, and Raisins – 1 teaspoon, chop the nuts
Cardamom - 2
Sugar – 10 teaspoons

Method:

Wash the basmathi rice and keep aside. Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan, simmer and let it reduce (boil for about 45 mins total). Keep stirring off the cream layer that forms on top. After 30 mins add the basmathi rice also and let the milk reduce for another 15 mins. Once the rice is almost done, add the sugar and nuts. Let it cook for another 5 mins and switch off and let it cool. Serve chilled.

1 comment:

  1. Great dessert to start the blog Purni,recipe sounds good. Photos would make it even better. Enjoy blogging!:))

    ReplyDelete