Saturday, August 30, 2008

Rava Roti

I am allergic to certain foods and my doctor gave me a long list of items to avoid for four months, like milk and milk products, seafood, coriander, tamrind, coconout,yeast... and the list goes on. There is no complete cooking without tamarind, coconut, and coriander in south india except for a few dishes. So, I started modifying some regular recipies and , "I too need variety" , can't be eating parupu sadham daily. Breaking my head what to make for breakfast one day I ended up with this one. Came out well. And you know what, i had mixed the ingredients to make just 3 rotis for me, while making my husband peeped into the kitchen and had a bite and took the plate and went. My mother in law also tasted and liked it. I prepared it again for me. With the instant garlic chilli powder it tasted good. Will go on to the recipe.



Ingredients:
Rava - 1 cup
Besan - 1 tsp
Maida - 1 tsp
Medium sized onion, chopped - 1
Green chillies - 2 (can use 1 tsp of chilli power if making for kids)
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Water
Oil - 2 -3 tsp
Method:
In a bowl put all the ingredients and mix. Sprinkle water (do not pour) and mix to form a tight dough like we make for chappathi. If the dough is not tight it will become soft like dosas. Divide them into small balls. This measurement would give 3 to 4 rotis. Heat the pan, put 1 tsp of oil and spread the balls into a circle with hands. Keep the flame low, cook on both sides. Smear some more oil. Serve hot with the chutney.

Garlic Chilli powder chutney
This is an instant chutney and can be kept for two days after preparing. It is similar to pickle. Very easy to make.
Ingredients:
Garlic - 10 pods
Chilli powder - 1 to 1-1/2tsp
Salt to taste
Gingely oil - 3 tsp
Method:
Crush the garlic cloves, mix the salt and chilli powder. Mix the oil. Chutney ready. Goes well with steaming idlies and dosas also.

No comments:

Post a Comment